A Historically Unprecedented Concentration of Wealth
However, at any given moment there is a finite amount of wealth currently in existence. If one person were to have 220 trillion dollars, that is another way of saying that one person controls 98% of all the (currently available) resources on the planet. This means that the other 7 billion humans would have to divide the remaining 2% among them.
Eighty-five people control the same amount of wealth as half the world's population.
That is 85 people compared with 3.5 billion.
Those 85 people each have (on average) over 41 million times as much as each of half of the human population has (on average).
Almost half of the world’s wealth is now owned by just one percent of the population - $110 trillion.
But even this graphic is extremely misleading - the smallest division it shows is 1% of the population. Within the 1%, if you subdivide it even further to 0.1% or 0.01%, that set of subgroups is just as unequal as the 1% is to everyone else:
See that pink square about 3 or 4 squares down from the top on the right? There is more or less your successful 1%er.
See how much closer it is to the rest of the 99% than it is to the top square?
The lower 1% is made up of doctors, lawyers, CEOs, frugal computer programers, small business people, and others who actually earn their wealth through direct productivity.
They actually have a closer amount of wealth to the poorest 50% than they do to the handful of billionaires in the top 0.01%